The Poles Company - Hanging Curtains
How to Hang Curtains
Hanging curtains can often seem like a deceptively simple task, but it can actually be quite difficult. There are numerous choices to be made, from the colour and print of the curtain fabric, to the type of curtain pole you should use. If you think you might be a bit lost with regards to how you should hang curtains, take a look at our helpful guide below.
1. Choosing the right curtains
Finding your ideal curtains will all depend on your existing decor, as this will determine the colours you go for. You’ll also want to pick drapes that match the style or tone of the room.
For instance, you may prefer to go for ’classic’ curtains, or more modern ones.
There are a few specific options concerning your curtains as well, they can include:
- Do you want blackout curtains to block out any light? These can be perfect for bedrooms.
- Would you like to have floor-to-ceiling curtains?
- Do you want to add a valance to your curtains to hide the pole or tracks?
- Do you want to hang net curtains or blinds as well as full drapes?
2. Picking the ideal curtain poles
Many people assume that choosing your curtains is the hardest task, but picking the tracks for your drapes can also be pretty tough. This is because you’ll need to figure out the exact window measurements, the type of curtain pole you need, and the style of the pole. You can make your curtain poles a central feature of your room design by going for statement ones, or you can hide your curtain tracks by adding a valance.
Again, though, you’ll need to think about a few things first:
- How heavy are your curtains? The heavier the curtain, the sturdier the pole needs to be.
- Is there enough space to fix the pole to the wall, or do you need to invest in a ceiling fix track?
3. Knowing when to fit blinds and net curtains
As already mentioned, you may decide that you also want to have blinds or net curtains, which can be both practical and stylish.
If specific rooms in your house always catch the sun, you may need a blind that you can use to limit this a little if you want to watch TV or use a computer. If your house is overlooked, a blind could help to give you a bit of privacy as well.
4. How to hang curtains
When hanging curtains, it’s vital that you have the right tools for the job.
You will need:
- An electric drill, with the correct drill bits
- Wall plugs of the correct size
- Screws (usually supplied with the curtain pole)
- A spirit level
- A step ladder
It can often be a good idea to ask for help when hanging curtains, especially if the window is quite large or the curtains are heavy. A friend or relative can keep your step ladder steady and hand you tools while you work to ensure you stay safe.
If you’re planning on redecorating, make sure all of the painting and wallpapering is finished before you hand the curtains, as it’s pretty difficult to do these jobs around curtain poles!